Friday, August 23, 2013

Review: Whose bed is it Anyway?

Title: Whose Bed is it Anyway?
Author: Natalie Anderson
ISBN: 0373207336
Release Date: 17th September 2013
Publisher: Harlequin KISS
Book Source: NetGalley

Pre-Order Now: Amazon - Barnes & Noble

Goodreads Synopsis:


"You're wearing my T-shirt." Returning home after a daring rescue mission, all James Wolfe can think of is sleep. So he's furious to find a beautiful stranger curled up in his king-size bed! Normally no woman ever gets between his sheets without prior invitation—who does she think she is? 

Disgraced celebrity Caitlin Moore has been offered a place to stay and she won't give it up—not with the paparazzi outside, baying for her blood! Reluctantly she agrees to share the apartment with James—but, with enough electricity to short-circuit the whole of Manhattan, keeping to their own sides of the bed might prove impossible.

Review:


Lately, whenever I feel like I need a fluffy light read I head off to Harlequin KISS and request a book from there. So last night, having finished a high fantasy novel and needing something light to read, I realized I had a Harlequin KISS book I haven't read yet, so I straight away started on that. The synopsis made it sounds like the perfect thing I was in the mood for, and I really loved the cover, which made it all the more nice to read.

I'm going to start with what annoyed me about the book first because it was a minor issue at the beginning. Even though at the time, they had made me lose interest in the story, it soon picked up and turned into a great read.

Start of Rant.

So first thing, Caitlin is meant to be from England and yet, surprisingly James never commented on her accent. I get that maybe she perfected her American accent before arriving? Yet when James finally knew where she was from, again, no comment on the accent, which should be something very noticeable and comment-worthy. I personally hate reading books based in a particular country with only minor references to said country, or minor things that distinguish it. The same with when you write about a person coming from a particular country but only choose to add a few words to imply that. I mean come on, using 'tart' as an insult as well as 'miffed' instead of annoyed or upset does not an English woman make. Not to mention she kept going back and forth between 'undies' and 'knickers'. And the last I heard English people called the bathroom 'loo'. I just... I wasn't convinced of her as an English former actress.

The second thing that annoyed me was: CAITLIN. At least in the first couple of chapters.
She was in his apartment, in his bed, wearing his clothes, and she had the gall to treat him like crap, as if he was the one who didn't belong in the place. Granted, she was told he was going to be out of the country for months, but still, once you figure out who he is and what he's doing here, you start explaining what's going on to the poor lad. Obviously Caitlin wouldn't do that.

Her automatic thought is:

'Possession was nine tenths of the law and this was her sleep space tonight.'
Erm, not cool Caitlin, not cool at all. And obviously, she had to give him a hard time for... well I haven't figured out the reason yet, even before she realized he assumed she was a hooker, she was being a brat.

When he said 'You're wearing my T-Shirt' I honestly thought he was making an observation, after all he was tired, he just got back home, and things were not as he expected them. Excuse me, but he is permitted to some confusion not for her to automatically get to her ridiculous retorts. 
That in turn led her to think:
'What, and that then made her his property?'

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the poor guy did not mean that by his observation.

So, her indignation is on the rise because:
What kind of man automatically assumed a woman sleeping in his bed was there waiting only for his pleasure? An arrogant one who'd had way too many women, way too easily.

Therefore she came to the conclusion that, he didn't deserve any answers or to be treated properly because: Not when he'd made such an out-of-line assumption.
I just don't get the out of line assumption much okay? She's dressed in nothing but his shirt, sleeping in his bed, and trying to get a rise out of him by not telling him what's going on. I get that it was rude of him at first, but from the looks of it, it's pretty obvious from the fact that the poor guy just collapsed on the bed that he was super tired, and barely keeping his eyelids open, let alone concentrating on what's going on. And come on, even if it was a bad thing and he did assume she was a hooker, he wasn't going to act on it, in fact he was telling her to get out of the bed. He wasn't being a bad guy, his brain was frazzled, and yet he just wanted his bed, to freaking sleep. What's wrong with that girl?
Even when he wanted to let her know about how tired he was she was being a jerk
'I'm-"
'Sorry," she snapped. "The word you're looking for is sorry."

I seriously wanted to punch her there. Seriously.
So the next day, James is all about apologizing and making it up to her. Obviously she by no means will let it pass, oh no siree, the poor lad has to grovel for it obviously.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"You weren't interested in listening."
"You were too busy talking."
"You were to busy assuming."

No he wasn't, he clearly asked you who you were and what you were doing there but you didn't want to tell him and decided to be an indignant self-righteous bitch instead.


Rant officially over.

Once she finally came around to letting him make it up to her, the story seriously looked up. I swear, it was like magically the book got better and I could finally stand to read it. Although I still hated her, but oh well, what can one do?

I hated how we didn't get to see how she overcome her past problems, only how James learned to deal with this. I swear, I kept waiting for her to face them but she didn't. But James was actually a very well developed character. I absolutely loved his depth, his interests, him as a being and him with Caitlin. You got to see many sides to him and I loved that. Then there was him with other people and him with his family, all these different contrasts. I seriously fell in love with James. 

The story was more focused on the two of them in the span of probably a week if not more, which was good and bad. The good thing is, you got to learn more about James and his growing relationship with Caitlin. The bad, it was only them two you got to know, there wasn't much on his twin or other brother. Or even on Caitlin's sister and father. I would have loved to dive into those characters as well, and seen more in their relationships and interactions with one another.

Now, I really loved the writing. It was most definitely the highlight of it all. You got to get closer to each protagonist's thoughts, not exactly inside their heads, but near enough to settle. It was a very simple fast-paced read. I think I was done with it in a matter of 2 hours. Although, I would have loved for it to be much longer than that.

Rating: 3/5.



No comments:

Post a Comment