Monday, November 4, 2013

Review: Confessions of an Almost - Girlfriend


Author:   Louise Rozett
ISBN: 0373210655 
Release Date:   June 25th 2013
Publisher:   Harlequin Teen
Book Source:   NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

Rose Zarelli has big plans for sophomore year—everything is going to be different. This year, she’s going to be the talented singer with the killer voice, the fabulous girl with the fashionista best friend, the brainiac who refuses to let Jamie Forta jerk her around...

...but if she’s not careful, she’s also going to be the sister who misses the signals, the daughter who can only think about her own pain, the “good girl” who finds herself in mid-scandal again (because no good deed goes unpunished) and possibly worst of all...the almost-girlfriend.

When all else fails, stop looking for love and go find yourself.


Review:

After reading book one in this series I had promised myself I wasn't going to read book two, no matter what happened and no matter how tempting it got, I was not going to read this book. 

I lied.

As to why I hadn't wanted to read that book, well, book one was very frustrating, I didn't want to continue with the frustration, especially when I wasn't even sure if it was the end of the series.

It wasn't.

Let's clear some things out first:

1- The writing of the book was incredible, I really did love Louise Rozett's style, I loved the new word at the beginning of each chapter.
2- The pace of the story was just right, not too quick or too slow.

Now onto the rant, why I found book two to be just as frustrating as book one:

1- No proper confrontations. I mean there are confrontations, but they're all messed up over the weird things. I would be sitting there, thinking of how unbelievable something that just happened is, and when the protagonist finally has the guts to speak them up to the person that's in the wrong, she's complaining about all sorts of things I didn't get why she was concentrating on them in the first place, and not complaining over what appeared to be the obvious choice.
2- There were characters that I found completely ridiculous. Like, Jamie and Kathleen (Rose's mother). Jamie's character was so screwed up in this book, I found myself constantly wondering if he was right in the head. A guy can't be that thick and obtuse. He was always hot and cold and kept my head reeling. As for the mother, I'm not sure if it's because she was a psychiatrist and that's how she dealt with things, but I found her to be magnanimously obsessive and selfish. 

As to the rest of the characters? I reserve judgement on that for now. Because I don't think I found one that I liked. I have tried repeatedly not to bang my head on the table whilst reading this book. Thankfully, I'm grateful I managed to resist the temptation.

Barely.

I think the main reason I am having trouble with this book is that I'm not comfortable with contemporary books being series. Unless they're companion novels or concentrate on a different family member every novel, I'm more likely to avoid the book.

Did this book personally provoke me to no end? Yes. Will I be reading the next installment in this series? Probably. I need to know how it ends at this point.

Way to go with the cliffhangers Louise Rozett.

Rating: 2.5/5 

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book or the one before it, but the obsessive psychiatrist mom sounds like the psychiatrist mom on Big Bang Theory, if you've ever seen it. Leonard's mom. She's so out there and soooo self-absorbed. I think it might just be a commonly used stereotype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see it, kind of made me hate scientific mothers more.

      A lot of people did enjoy this book though, so it might just be me.

      Delete