Friday, November 22, 2013

Review: Crash Into You

Title:   Crash into You
Author:   Katie McGarry
ISBN:   037321099X
Release Date:   November 26th 2013
Publisher:   Harlequin Teen
Book Source:   NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:


From acclaimed author Katie McGarry comes an explosive new tale of a good girl with a reckless streak, a street-smart guy with nothing to lose, and a romance forged in the fast lane 

The girl with straight As, designer clothes and the perfect life-that's who people expect Rachel Young to be. So the private-school junior keeps secrets from her wealthy parents and overbearing brothers...and she's just added two more to the list. One involves racing strangers down dark country roads in her Mustang GT. The other? Seventeen-year-old Isaiah Walker-a guy she has no business even talking to. But when the foster kid with the tattoos and intense gray eyes comes to her rescue, she can't get him out of her mind. 

Isaiah has secrets, too. About where he lives, and how he really feels about Rachel. The last thing he needs is to get tangled up with a rich girl who wants to slum it on the south side for kicks-no matter how angelic she might look. 

But when their shared love of street racing puts both their lives in jeopardy, they have six weeks to come up with a way out. Six weeks to discover just how far they'll go to save each other.


Review:
To fully understand my feelings towards most of the recurring characters from books one and two, click on "Pushing The Limits" or "Dare You To" to read their reviews.

After finishing this book I was convinced Katie McGarry had powers of some sort, since it's very difficult to write three amazing books in a row, but she managed it. Granted, this book didn't put me in as much of an emotional upheaval as the first two, but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I didn't cry reading this book since the character with the most emotional damage was Isaiah and he wasn't one to exactly dwell on said emotions, it was difficult to truly understand where he was coming from. I will try not to put so many details here just incase any of you have yet to read the first two books in the series since they can work as standalones and read in any order. It's just that, Noah was much easier to comprehend due to his brothers and his love for them, but Isaiah kept a hold on his emotions the entire time. And with Beth, it wasn't exactly that she was self-deprecating and always thinking of herself, her story was mainly based on what was being done to her, the fact that she was a minor and  had no say in her life, and the crappy way she was treated by her family. It was easier to be swept by Noah and Beth and their lives, even with Echo - especially with Echo - but not that much with Ryan.

As for Rachel, sure, she was equally as twisted - it wouldn't be a Katie McGarry book otherwise - but the fact that she was fully aware of it yet never really fought the messed up way her family was treating her made it hard to feel sorry for her as one should have. On a side note, this was the first book I actually was completely convinced of my emotions all throughout the book, there was no conflict, no one person I was confused of how I'd feel about him. With book one it was Echo's parents and her step-mother. With book two it was Beth's uncle. But in this book the most likely candidate was Rachel's family yet, nothing, I hated them from start to finish. Maybe my feelings will change later on when I start reading their separate stories, since yes, the upcoming books will be based on them - I think. I'm not sure if all her siblings will make an appearance or just one.

I also came to the realization that Beth is a character you can only love in her own book. I hated her in Pushing the Limits and was back to hating her in this book. Echo was as incredible as always though, I really love her. I think she's the best female lead in all of Katie McGarry's books so far.

However, none of what I just mentioned diminishes in any way the greatness of this incredible book. The characters were well-developed. The plot had the necessary twists and turns, it was a quick and very realistic read. There's no such thing as an easy and happy ending with McGarry, the characters work hard to get there, and I like that about her books, the realistic element and perspective make her stories very enjoyable in my opinion.

Rating: 4/5.

2 comments:

  1. I agree.. I can't stand Beth and now I'll be wary with her in Crash Into You.. I thought since her life turned around that she'll get better but I guess she didn't. I agree, Echo is my favorite female protagonist <3 though I haven't met Rachel yet.

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      I did expect the same thing with Beth, but apparently not, she's a very hard character to like.
      Rachel is actually what Isaiah needed, but she didn't hold up to Echo.

      Delete