Saturday, November 30, 2013

Review: Ink

Title:  Ink
Author:  Amanda Sun 
ISBN:  037321071X
Release Date:  June 25th 2013
Publisher:  Harlequin Teen 
Book Source:   NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:


On the heels of a family tragedy, the last thing Katie Greene wants to do is move halfway across the world. Stuck with her aunt in Shizuoka, Japan, Katie feels lost. Alone. She doesn’t know the language, she can barely hold a pair of chopsticks, and she can’t seem to get the hang of taking her shoes off whenever she enters a building.

Then there’s gorgeous but aloof Tomohiro, star of the school’s kendo team. How did he really get the scar on his arm? Katie isn’t prepared for the answer. But when she sees the things he draws start moving, there’s no denying the truth: Tomo has a connection to the ancient gods of Japan, and being near Katie is causing his abilities to spiral out of control. If the wrong people notice, they'll both be targets.

Katie never wanted to move to Japan—now she may not make it out of the country alive.

Review:

Before I read Ink, I was very wary because of the huge amount of people hyping it up. Seriously, it reached worrisome levels because sometimes books get so hyped up, and you eventually read them, and sadly you're disappointed because they weren't as great as you had expected. Like The Hunger Games. The book was okay, but I didn't love it or anything. So I was worried Ink was going to be like that. Thank God it was just as good as I was told it is.

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Japanese culture. Back in school I had worked on learning some of the words and a little about the customs, so it was pretty exciting to find those same words and customs immersed in a YA novel. I was so in love with the idea because personally I've always wanted to be Katie. I wanted to go live in Japan, go to high school there, meet new people, eat from a bentou, have a cool Japanese phone, travel by train, and see Cherry Blossoms in bloom. Basically, Katie was living my dream life. Only, it was much more cool, because she got to meet Tomohiro and accidentally stumble into something both inexplicable and thrilling. I am actually ashamed to say that the idea of Japanese Gods never even occurred to me before. Although, it did make sense that they of all people would have their own Gods, so I was definitely interested in learning more about their legends.

My favourite two characters in the story would have to be both Tanaka - who was sweet and absolutely adorable - and Tomohiro. He was definitely someone whose character growth was very easy to watch and follow through. I enjoyed how he'd be arrogant and cocky one second, but sweet and helpful the next. He was a constant surprise.

The way Amanda instigated the Kamis (paper Gods) into the story was very creative, so was the way Katie suddenly found herself a part of it. I very much enjoyed the pace of the story, the character development, the plot twists and the fact that the story is still shrouded with mystery. It was all very well written. I especially liked Amanda's writing style and the way it was told from Katie's point of view. Not just that it was in first person, but how Katie's character grew stronger and more confident throughout the story. Not only that, but I think the whole thing was well-researched enough to give you the feel of the thing, from her descriptions you could almost live it all through Katie's eyes, and wonder off the Japanese streets, into the Japanese culture with her. I loved that.

It was such an amazing story and I can hardly wait to read the second book in the series!

Rating: 4.5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment