Sunday, November 24, 2013

Review: Stir Me Up


Title: Stir Me Up
Author: Sabrina Elkins
ASIN: B00DWRAK4E
Release Date: October 1st 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

Cami Broussard has her future all figured out. She'll finish her senior year of high school, then go to work full-time as an apprentice chef in her father's French restaurant, alongside her boyfriend, Luke. But then twenty-year-old ex-Marine Julian Wyatt comes to live with Cami's family while recovering from serious injuries. And suddenly Cami finds herself questioning everything she thought she wanted.

Julian's all attitude, challenges and intense green-brown eyes. But beneath that abrasive exterior is a man who just might be as lost as Cami's starting to feel. And Cami can't stop thinking about him. Talking to him. Wanting to kiss him. He's got her seriously stirred up. Her senior year has just gotten a lot more complicated….


Review:

I personally requested this book from NetGalley because I was in the mood of a light contemporary read and I had seen a few good reviews on this book, which in turn made me request it. To start off, normally a cover like this would be considered as great, but frankly I'm sick of seeing the couple on this cover on a whole lot of other books as well, it's gotten to a very annoying level.

Cami lives with her father, a French Chef and his new wife Estella. She's about to start her senior year with her best friend, she has a great boyfriend who kind of wants to take things to the next level now that he's graduated, and a father who is hell-bent on her going to college and not becoming a chef like him. To top it all off, there's Estella's handsome yet very surly and rude nephew Julien who has to come stay with them as he recovers from an injury he sustained saving people at war. She also has to give him her room. Cami has her a lot on her plate as she tries to balance all of this off as well as figure out what she wants to do in the future, and she's not sure how to make that decision with Mr. Surly in the picture.

The premise of the book has the makings of a cute contemporary read, which I guess it is for some people. I am not saying I hated it, but I didn't love it either. It was a light quick read, and I did enjoy it. But I felt very disconnected from the characters, and had a hard time liking any of them, they weren't giving out a plausible feel. So yeah, it was an interesting fast and fun read. I enjoyed it, since it was kind of what I was looking for at the moment, but I wouldn't say it was one of my favorites.

Rating: 2.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment