Monday, December 16, 2013

Review: Pawn


Title: Pawn
Author: Aimée Carter
ISBN: 174356497X
Book Genre: YA Dystopian
Release Date: November 26th 2013
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

YOU CAN BE A VII. IF YOU GIVE UP EVERYTHING. 

For Kitty Doe, it seems like an easy choice. She can either spend her life as a III in misery, looked down upon by the higher ranks and forced to leave the people she loves, or she can become a VII and join the most powerful family in the country. 

If she says yes, Kitty will be Masked—surgically transformed into Lila Hart, the Prime Minister's niece, who died under mysterious circumstances. As a member of the Hart family, she will be famous. She will be adored. And for the first time, she will matter. 

There's only one catch. She must also stop the rebellion that Lila secretly fostered, the same one that got her killed
and one Kitty believes in. Faced with threats, conspiracies and a life that's not her own, she must decide which path to choose—and learn how to become more than a pawn in a twisted game she's only beginning to understand.



Review:

This book is really difficult for me to review, because I'm at this point where I don't know if I love it or hate it. Maybe both?

So let's start with an explanation. In this dystopian world people are marked depending on how smart and efficient they are for the country. They get tested once they're seventeen to discover where they stand and what the 'mark' on their neck would say, with I as the lowest point and VII being the highest. But everyone knows that VII is only for the Harts who rule the country. Kitty doesn't have high hopes that she'd be a VI or even a V, but the average point in the country is IV and she was hoping to fit there. She'd have a nice and sufficient life, and she wasn't dumb. The problem with Kitty is that she can't read, which costs her a lot during the testing and she ends up with a III, and a job assignment as a sewer cleaner. Left to choose between working in the sewers in another city away from her boyfriend Benjy and working as a prostitute, she chooses the latter. However on her first night she's given a choice of a completely different nature, would she like to stay a lowly III or be a VII? Now obviously she's not stupid enough to think there won't be strings attached, it's just too late by the time she figures out how high the stakes are.

Now stage two, what I liked:

1) The world building and the premise, both were pretty cool. Although they strangely reminded me of both The Selection by Kiera Cass and The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa, not in an identical way or anything, just a likeness.
2) There was a definite plot twist I did not see coming at all, which adds a very intense setting to the whole thing, and opens up a lot of questions for book two.
3) There was no instalove or a love triangle, I feel like both have been played out. However, I have a feeling that may change soon, I just hope not.
4) It was very action-packed, a lot going on, no dull lulls. Although I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing either, because book two may not have much to add, but that's mainly because at this point I have no idea where she's going with the story.
5) The writing. Aimée Carter gives Kitty such a resonant voice and interesting background in the story, I seriously hope that's explored in the next installments of this series.

Stage three, what I didn't like:

1) The amount of people killed needlessly in this book is ridiculous. They made it sound so normal, like human life wasn't sacred or important or anything. It's Hitler's Germany.
2) How Kitty justified her friend's murder. What? I mean, WHAT? No matter her chosen profession, it shouldn't be that easy to write off her death.
3) Other predictable plot twists.
4) Kitty's decision making, actually everyone's decision making made me want to hit my head on a wall. Repeatedly. 
5) The planning, the lies, the secrecy, the disregard to everyone else's feelings and lack of looking at the big picture.
6) A lot of character flaws and cruelty.

This book was basically a roller-coaster ride of emotions from love to hate. There were parts I found unnecessary and there were others that were great. So yeah... I'm definitely going to read book two though, I need to know what happens next.

Rating: 3/5.

2 comments:

  1. I loved your review. You've given me a lot of curiosity as the book goes :)
    Greetings from Peru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you get to read it and enjoy it ;)

      Delete