Thursday, December 12, 2013

Review: Switched


Title: Switched
Author: Cassie Mae
ISBN: 9780345548825
Book Genre: NA contemporary
Release Date: 2nd December 2013
Publisher: Random House Flirt
Book Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Synopsis:

Ever since high school, Kayla has been crazy for gorgeous football player Talon. But before she could muster the courage to tell him, he became a hot item with her beautiful BFF, Reagan. The only person who knows Kayla’s secret is Wesley, Talon’s best bud—and he’s got it bad for Reagan. Now they’re all in college together, hanging out 24/7. For Kayla, seeing the two lovebirds together is absolutely unbearable. So Kayla and Wesley hatch a plot to drive them apart before Talon has a chance to give Reagan the Christmas gift she’s been waiting for.

Soon enough, the once happy couple is fighting. Reagan suddenly can’t get enough of Wesley’s goofy sense of humor, and Talon seems to be paying more attention to Kayla than a guy who’s “only a friend” ever should. But just when everything seems to be falling into place, Kayla and Wesley accidentally spend a night together and discover a hitch in their plan they never considered: that switching partners may not lead to a perfect ending after all.


Review:

I feel like I've become rather cynical as of late. Or at least more harsh in my judgement of contemporary novels. Which is something I am not so happy with because contemporary as a genre was my safety zone. Whenever I had trouble with a paranormal, dystopian or sci-fi  novel, I'd head off to read a simple contemporary novel, and it would help lift up my spirits and lighten my mood. Lately however I've been over analyzing said novels and listing all the ways I found them lacking.

Which has kind of happened with this novel.

My old self, the 2011 Aliaa, would have seriously enjoyed this book. It was a quick light contemporary novel. It had romantic elements, funny elements, cunning elements, why on Earth would she hate it? She'd have given it a 5/5 rating straight away.

Sadly I'm Aliaa 2.0, the 2013 edition, which in turn meant that, I didn't exactly love this book. I couldn't ignore things that I wouldn't have noticed before. This is kind of a rant, so there might be spoilers, and yeah, here goes why I didn't quite enjoy this book:

1- The friendships were ridiculously screwed up.
I don't know about you and your idea of what a best friend should be, but I know that a best friend wouldn't team up with a guy they barely tolerate to come up with a plan to split said best friend and their boyfriend up. A best friend should be supportive and attentive to her/his best friend. You know what? Three out of the four of them qualify as the worst friends ever. Talon is one of the...well, most decent among them. With Wesley in second place. Friends just don't do what these group of people have done to one another, they really don't.

2- The clichés, my God the sheer amount of them! I won't even get into this, it's too much to think about, it gets me all riled up.

3- The sheer predictability of the entire thing. I get it, even before I started reading the book I was well aware of the fact that this book is about Kayla being in love with Talon and not telling him. As well as Wesley being in love Reagan even though she and Talon were an item. That much was a given, I couldn't complain about that. I couldn't complain about the plan coming to works either, because again, I saw it coming. However, I seriously expected a round of ingenuity and creativity that puts a remarkable twist to the story I didn't expect. Something that would blow my mind, that would make all the predictability barely noticeable. Instead, I literally predicted the entire book, it was boring.
Okay, that's not one hundred percent true, there was this part where I had seen coming, but at some point it felt like 'no, of course that wouldn't happen, it couldn't be that obvious.' And for a second there it felt like my prayers were answered, and indeed I was wrong, but I wasn't, I was right. I just closed the book after that, I couldn't take it anymore, my mental state couldn't handle that.

I don't mean to be needlessly harsh, but I can't not be honest either. Any other day I would have loved this book, just not today.

Rating: 1.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment