Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Review: These Broken Stars


Author: Amie Kaufman & Meagan Spooner
ISBN: 1423171020
Book Genre: YA Science Fiction / Paranormal
Release Date: 10th December 2013
Publisher: Disney Hyperion
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone. 

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help. 

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.


Review:

Sorry it took me a while to get to this, but I'm afraid I needed some time to calm down before I could embark on the journey that is this review. By that, I basically mean being in the right state of mind to return my thoughts to this book and be impartial. I'm currently failing miserably. A friend of mine had read this book months ago and told me it was absolutely magnificent, and I was worried I'd be disappointed because when people overhype books it's more often than not a let down for me.
This one wasn't.

I'm personally not really into sci-fi books, or at least I wasn't. But thanks to Doctor Who I've slowly started to get into the genre. Interestingly enough, this book reminded me of three particular episodes of the aforementioned show. In my head it's divided into three parts. The first one, reminded me so much of the Titanic episode of Doctor Who's Christmas Special. The second one reminded me of the episode in season four where the Doctor wanted to visit a planet Midnight I think? I can't bring myself to rewatch the episode because it terrifies me, but yes, that's exactly how I felt in that part of the book - terrified. The last part reminded me of the Charles Dickens episode in season one with the rift. I know this is a weird way to say it but, these exact elements of likeness are what made me love the book. And hate it. And broke my heart. Basically everything I feel whilst watching the show.

Maybe the show inspired the fabulous authors? I wasn't part of the #TBSParty on Twitter, but I got to read some of the tweets and I think it's safe to say that.



Now, onto the book. It was co-written, and according to the dynamic duo, each one handled a point of view. In which case Amie handled Tarver's and Meagan handled Lilac's. Personally I preferred Tarver's. It had nothing to do with the writing though, both authors were incredible with that, portraying the characters so amazingly, the way they dived into this world and explained it to the readers was pretty clever and meticulous. It's just that sadly at the start of the book Lilac was the embodiment of everything I hated in a female lead nowadays. However her character improved remarkably by the end of the book. There were parts in between the chapters where someone is interviewing Tarver, I'm not sure who exactly was writing those parts, but I did love them most, because Tarver's absolutely hilarious. I mean, his wry humor even whilst being interviewed and bullied into admitting in details what happened to him in this traumatizing life altering predicament he was in, he still held his own and did his part to absolutely infuriate his interrogators. They had it coming though, and they did bug me.

The first thing that came to mind for both myself and a friend was the name of the space liner: Icarus. I don't know about you, but I think it's one of the worst names to name anything you want to remain afloat or on its axis. Something you don't want to either drown, crash or break. Like calling a ship nowadays Titanic. Personally, I think the passengers should have seen their imminent death coming, I know I did. One of the things I had a hard time with was a couple of long lulls mainly due to the story having only two characters for a large part of the book, but that in no way diminishes from the book's ingenuity.

The story wasn't one of those quick simple reads in which you can be detached and just be entertained by it, if that's what you're looking for in this story, then I'm afraid you need to look elsewhere. This story will drag you in, keep you there, torture you to so many extents, rip your heart out over and over again, make you experience a myriad of feelings before returning you back a completely changed person.  I know that for a fact. And yes, the lovely ladies had intended that. You're going to love it, and hate it.






The best part about this book - okay if you ignore all the heartache - is that it gives you closure. I couldn't handle it at all if after all of that I didn't get closure. Seriously. As for what happens next in the series?


Okay guys, I am now off to return to my recovery process. I still absolutely love this book though. No matter what I just said.

Rating: 5/5!

4 comments:

  1. you've had me convinced to get my own copy! Everyone has loved this book and I can't wait to get my hands on it now.

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's really amazing. Although some parts dragged a little because it was just the two of them for the most part. But I still loved it and book two apparently is more action packed!

      Delete
  2. Haha, I'm off to read it! Fantastic review :) Love your interactions with the author!

    - Sel @ Bookcase to Heaven™

    ReplyDelete