Wednesday, January 1, 2014

End of 2013 Book Survey


Hey guys and welcome to the End of year Book Survey which was created by Jamie @ Perpetual Book Turner. I saw a bunch of bloggers doing it and decided to join in the fun!
Most of my replies might be repeats from this past week's blog posts as well as my latest video on my youtube channel which I'll leave below.

So let's get started!
Best in Books 2013

1. Best Books You Read In 2013

Contemporary

Dystopian/ Post-Apocalyptic

Paranormal

Science Fiction

Fantasy


2. Books you were excited about and thought you'd love more but you didn't.
and oh God, can't forget Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie

3. Most surprising (in a good way) book of 2013.
Hands down, The Darkest Minds. I had been looking forward to reading it, but I didn't know much about it, and frankly I had been a bit wary once I bought it. The second I read it though, dear God, it was nothing like I expected!
Also, another completely mind-blowing surprise of a book happened to be  The DUFF by Kody Keplinger . And how can I forget The S- Word by Chelsea Pitcher, one of hell of a surprise.


4. Books you read in 2013 that you recommended most to people in 2013.
Also, I hate to repeat them but:
Scarlet, The Darkest Minds and The Diviners

5. Best Series you discovered in 2013
Also: Shadow and Bone, The Darkest Minds and Divergent (Again).

6. Favourite new Author you discovered in 2013?
Alexandra Bracken.

7. Best Book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
I am not a big fan of full on sci-fi, but I definitely loved this book!

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book of 2013? 
Guys, I feel like I've repeated this over and over and over today, but I can't help it, I AM OBSESSED. 
The Darkest Minds okay? I'm sorry, but that book is all kinds of incredible.

9. Book you read in 2013 that you are most likely to re-read next year?
The DUFF, The Fault In Our Stars, Cinder, Divergent, The Darkest Minds, The Archived, The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer & Shadow and Bone. (Mostly books in series with new books coming out I need to remember).

10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2013?

11. Most memorable character in 2013?
This is so hard right now. Okay, four characters but I'm choosing different books in the series for them, to give myself the illusion I'm not being repetitive.
Four from Insurgent by Veronica Roth, Liam from Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken, Kai from Sweet Peril and Gus from The Fault in Our Stars. Also Ash from The Iron Traitor by Julie Kagawa.

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
The Archived, The Diviners, The Fault in Our Stars, The Darkest Minds and Shadow and Bone.

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
Se Questo È Un Uomo (Survival in Auschwitz) by Primo Levi
I read this for my thesis and oh God, it's very difficult to recover from this book.

14. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
That would definitely have to be The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
Although, there's also The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

15. Favourite passage/ quote from a book you read in 2013?
“So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.” 

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” 

16. Shortest and longest book you read in 2013?
Longest:
The Sweet Far Thing by Libba Bray = 819 pages

Shortest:
(I'm assuming novellas don't count here)
I am not sure here, but I think it's The Great Gatsby = 177 pages

17. Book that had a scene in it that had you reeling and dying to talk to somebody about it? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers! 
Ink Exchange by Melissa Marr had a weird story plot that was such a WTF one, I couldn't stomach it.
Through the Ever Night had by Veronica Rossi had a twist I was hoping desperately wasn't true, which it turns out was true. Ridiculously true.
The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa had such a horrible cliffhanger I had to tweet the author about it.

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc). 
This is a popular one I know, but it would be the friendship between Liam and Chubs, it's so ridiculously adorable, I love it!

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Dare you to, Speechless and The Immortal Rules.

20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
The Darkest Minds, recommended by Kat from Katytastic. Divergent and The Fault in Our Stars, by the entire internet. These Broken Stars by my friend Somaya.

21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
YA contemporary.

22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
Kaidan from Sweet Evil, Four from Divergent and Liam from The Darkest Minds.

23. Best 2013 debut you read?
Reboot by Amy Tintera

24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
Daughter of Smoke and Bone, Shadow and Bone.
Splintered by A. G. Howard
Ink by Amanda Sun

25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
Shut Out by Kody Keplinger

26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
A lot. I am a regular tear factory when it comes to books, but to the extreme? Yeah, it was The Fault in Our Stars and The S- Word.

27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
The Promise of Amazing by Robin Constantine. Maybe because it came out the last day of the year?


Looking Ahead…

1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
Vicious by V. E. Schwab. I have it but have been very busy to read it. I can't wait to do so now!

2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)? 
Cress by Marissa Meyer, God, I can't wait for this book!

3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
Dorothy Must Die by Danielle paige

4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014? 
The Darkest Minds one?
Or well, Sweet Reckoning by Wendy Higgins.
The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
Get more in touch with my readers? Be more dedicated to my blog? I've been very erratic with my updates and I'm hoping to at least have some regular posts and make more blogger friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment