Thursday, January 30, 2014

Review: 16 Things I Thought Were True

Author: Janet Gurtler
ISBN: 1402277970
Book Genre: YA Contemporary
Release Date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:
Heart attacks happen to other people #thingsIthoughtweretrue
When Morgan's mom gets sick, it's hard not to panic. Without her mother, she would have no one—until she finds out the dad who walked out on her as a baby isn't as far away as she thought...
Adam is a stuck-up, uptight jerk #thingsIthoughtweretrue
Now that they have a summer job together, Morgan's getting to know the real Adam, and he's actually pretty sweet...in a nerdy-hot kind of way. He even offers to go with her to find her dad. Road trip, anyone?
5000 Twitter followers are all the friends I need #thingsIthoughtweretrue
With Adam in the back seat, a hyper chatterbox named Amy behind the wheel, and plenty of Cheetos to fuel their trip, Morgan feels ready for anything. She's not expecting a flat tire, a missed ferry, a fake girlfriend...and that these two people she barely knew before the summer started will become the people she can't imagine living without.

Review:

Now if we're being honest, in any other case, I would have given this book a solid three stars, because that's what it felt like to me. It was a cute contemporary read, not mind-blowing or brilliant or anything, but adorable nonetheless and I found it enjoyable. Why I gave it a four star rating instead? Because I could relate to the main character very much. 

Morgan's social life has gone down the drain after a video of her dancing in boy underwear went viral on the internet. After that her best friend ditched her and everyone in town won't stop making fun of her, which leads her to the only safe area of the internet in her mind: twitter. Whilst working the summer in an amusement park and avoiding making new friends in hopes of finishing her high school year and just getting out of there, she encounters a few complications. One, her mother gets sick and needs surgery. Two, thinking she was on her deathbed, her mother finally tells her about her real father. Three, Morgan means to find him, but the only way to do so is by accepting the ride from this chatterbox Amy, and the company of her nerdy and very annoying boss Adam. With this trip in motion, Morgan comes to the realization, that many things she thought were true, really weren't.

The writing of the book isn't what would normally appeal to me in a contemporary read, at least not one I'd consider mind blowing, but it wasn't bad. I guess it annoys me when the current lingo of teens is used over the top in the dialogue and all, but I can understand how that would add more authenticity to the character the author is trying to portray, yet, it still bugs me. Now, I'm still not convinced of how quickly things happened at the start of the book, I think more time to build the settings, get us to know Morgan, her life with the aftermaths of the video, her brothers, more about Adam and Amy before they all decided to take a trip together that apparently none of the parents even questioned. It was too rushed in my opinion. The trip on the other hand was well paced, yet I would have loved to have it be longer, their interactions together were absolutely hilarious. I found myself laughing on numerous occasions, Amy is pretty much my role modal at the moment. This book was both funny and heartbreaking, I enjoyed the balance with that.

As for how I could relate to Morgan? Well, the majority of my relationships and closest friends are online. I don't interact with people in real life that often, and would rather not. Being away from my laptop for so long is like losing an appendage.
"How about talking to me instead of your phone?"
I put my phone down, but stare longingly at it. 
 That's basically me in a nutshell. Except, switch phone with laptop. You cannot imagine how many times I've heard this (or something akin to it) being said to me:
"Stop me if this is a crazy idea," he says, "but I though you might want to talk to someone, you know,  in person."
None of my family or friends seem to understand the importance of internet has over my real and social life, because I tend to avoid them. Now, Morgan has this goal for the summer: to get 5000 followers. In her mind, that otherwise insignificant number counts to a lot. Not for a particular purpose other than to show she has control over something. Her life has gone down the drains, nothing is going according to plans, and just having one tiny thing she can control and work hard on accomplishing is her driving force. I feel like that sometimes, which is why I always have these challenges set with both myself and my friends, I need a small piece of control in my life, and that's the tiny portion of life I can attempt to accomplish and deal with its variables. It was interesting seeing Morgan get out of her shell, do things, meet people, and get back on the road of recovering from the disaster that is her life.

All in all, a fun, light read.

Rating: 4/5.

4 comments:

  1. Well, Aliaa, i can definitely relate to the main character, too
    And the author is definitely one i have heard a lot about
    GREAT review
    Your reader,
    Soma
    http://insomnia-of-books.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of her too, but this is the only book I've read by her to be honest. It was very interesting.

      Thank you :)

      Delete
  2. oh my god, this book sounds wonderful. Time to add it to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite an enjoyable read, I hope you enjoy it! :D

      Delete