Monday, January 6, 2014

Review: Scandalously Yours

Author: Cara Elliot
ISBN: 145557323X
Book Genre: Historical Regency Romance
Release Date: January 7th 2014
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:
Proper young ladies of the ton—especially ones who have very small dowries—are not encouraged to have an interest in intellectual pursuits. Indeed, the only thing they are encouraged to pursue is an eligible bachelor.
Preferably one with both a title and a fortune.
So, the headstrong, opinionated Sloane sisters must keep their passions a secret. 
Ah, but secret passions are wont to lead a lady into trouble...

Review:

I requested this book mainly because it had been a while since I read a good historical regency book. Although I have become rather wary of the genre in particular - or at least in embarking on new journeys with new authors in it - I still don't let that stop me, and bravely seek out new authors in the genre. I am very glad I found Cara Elliot to be honest. Even ignoring the pretty kickass cover, the intriguing synopsis and interesting title, the story in itself as well as the writing were most certainly worth it.

The story is about Olivia, who has resigned herself to being a spinster, a scholarly spinster, because her bluestocking ways have been terrifying suitors for years. Even her mother counted her as a lost cause. Until she meets the war hero John, who's on the search of a wife. Now John doesn't want a simpering debutante or a giggling and bland woman for wife, yet he most certainly doesn't want the outrageously outspoken and very inappropriate Olivia as a wife either. Even if she does intrigue him in a very strange kind of way. Besides, John has a great prospect lined up in Lady Serena, who his son has dubbed the Steel Corset,  the very composed and befitting wife, well bred and more than capable of being his countess. Now Prescott is not about to stand by and let his father commit such a horrible folly by marrying the dreadful Steel Corset, so he and his best friend Lucy decide to take matters in their own hands by placing an ad in the paper for an appropriate Step Mother. John is too busy furthering his political career to notice his son's schemes, and surprisingly Olivia might not be the worst person to talk to about his political affiliations.

This book was wonderfully crafted, very well written, with a great amount of humor and adorable interludes. Scholarly kind of adorable. It was so fun watching Olivia and John interact, as they baffle and confuse one another. It was much more hilarious seeing Prescott in action as he did everything he could to avoid the Steel Corset from marrying his father. The story was told in third person, but mostly from different perspectives.

Olivia's sisters were very playful and mischievous, I found their interactions and family relationships endearing as they kept each other's secrets away from their mother and supported each other with whatever they needed help or support in, with the added flavor of siblings bantering. Olivia's father was a rather interesting character, even though he was dead before this story took place, his influence in her life was very vivid. I definitely admired him, and I loved this about him, because it appealed to the feminist in me:

"Men, he had lectured, held an unfair advantage by keeping women ignorant of the world. So he was determined that his girls learned about life."

I also love that John understood and supported that. He wasn't a misogynist or demanding and domineering - which was a surprise coming from a commanding officer like himself.

Other quotes I loved:

"As for what most of society thinks of me, I suppose that like a hedgehog, I use a prickly exterior to deflect closer scrutiny."

"Because isn't an answer, it's a shield."

I gave this book 4/5 stars and I cannot for the life of me wait for the next installments in this series, both Anna and Caro's stories ( Olivia's sisters). Anna's in particular will be very hooking for me I'm sure. I'm also hoping to read more books by Cara as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment