Saturday, January 4, 2014

The Iron Traitor: Review


Title:   The Iron Traitor
Author:   Julie Kagawa
ISBN:   0373210914
Release Date:   October 23rd 2013
Publisher:   Harlequin Teen
Book Source:   NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

In the real world, when you vanish into thin air for a week, people tend to notice. 

After his unexpected journey into the lands of the fey, Ethan Chase just wants to get back to normal. Well, as "normal" as you can be when you see faeries every day of your life. Suddenly the former loner with the bad reputation has someone to try for-his girlfriend, Kenzie. Never mind that he's forbidden to see her again. 

But when your name is Ethan Chase and your sister is one of the most powerful faeries in the Nevernever, "normal" simply isn't to be. For Ethan's nephew, Keirran, is missing, and may be on the verge of doing something unthinkable in the name of saving his own love. Something that will fracture the human and faery worlds forever, and give rise to the dangerous fey known as the Forgotten. As Ethan's and Keirran's fates entwine and Keirran slips further into darkness, Ethan's next choice may decide the fate of them all.

Review:

I think this has by far surpassed all of Julie Kagawa's other Iron Fey books in brilliance. Seriously, in my mind it's all just one series because it's basically continuing a few years after it left off. Thus, this is literally my favorite book in the entire series so far. Usually with a new book in this series, I'd internally be saying 'I'll check it out when I feel like it or whatever.' I mean, I'd want to read it, but it wasn't top of the list or anything. I was never overcome with the gut wrenching feeling of confusion and emptiness I felt after reading this particular gem. How in God's name am I going to wait for the next book to come out?

That's not to say this is the first Julie Kagawa book to put me in such a state, after all, her second installment of the Blood of Eden series had me in such a blind state of panic that only a tweet of reassurance from the author herself telling me she'd never be cruel enough to end the series like that was what calmed me down. Barely. It's as if she was in a 'hey, let's wreck havoc with Aliaa's sanity this year' mood. Not cool Kagawa. Not cool at all.

I can't say much about this book though since I don't want to give away any particular spoilers and with this particular storyline I may accidentally do so. I will leave you with this though.

Reasons why I think you'll love this book (if you enjoyed the rest of the books in this series):

1) Ethan is fighting for the girl
2) The girl is driving Ethan insane - in a good way.
3) Ethan is working on saving a Fey.
4) Puck is hilarious.
5) Puck and Ash bring sexy back. (I personally ship team Pash. Or whatever it is that brings both Puck and Ash together).
6) Kierran and Ethan make a similar team to the aforementioned one - except without all the cool jokes and sexiness.
7) There isn't one stone unturned in creating a ridiculously large mess I have absolutely no idea how they'll get out of.

This book will leave you in a state of anxiety I'm not sure is healthy. I will now go off to try to get my mind off of this book in any way I can, otherwise I will drive myself insane with impatience.
I should warn you that it leaves off on an awful cliffhanger, it's just so… emotional, especially with the great writing from Kagawa. So yeah, I'm off to curl up in a corner.

Question, is there a Team Puck and Ash? Because I'd seriously root for that. Team PASH for the win!

Rating: 5/5*!

No comments:

Post a Comment