Monday, February 17, 2014

Review: I See London

Title: I See London
Author: Chanel Cleeton
ISBN: 145925547X
Book Genre: NA Contemporary
Release Date: February 3rd 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:
Maggie Carpenter is ready for a change— and to leave her ordinary life in South Carolina behind. But when she accepts a scholarship to the International School in London, a university attended by the privileged offspring of diplomats and world leaders, Maggie might get more than she bargained for. 
When Maggie meets Hugh, a twentysomething British guy, she finds herself living the life she always wanted. Suddenly she’s riding around the city in a Ferrari, wearing borrowed designer clothes and going to the hottest clubs. The only problem? Another guy, the one she can’t seem to keep her hands off of. 
Half French, half Lebanese, and ridiculously wealthy, Samir Khouri has made it clear he doesn’t do relationships. He’s the opposite of everything Maggie thought she wanted…and he’s everything she can’t resist. Torn between her dream guy and the boy haunting her dreams, Maggie has to fight for her own happy ending. In a city like London, you never know where you stand, and everything can change in the blink of an eye.

Review:

The first thing that struck me as I read this book was the similarity between it and Anna and the French Kiss. Except that this story was more adult and less funny. I think that's the main reason I kept on reading, the idea was very interesting, and I loved how the main character wasn't exactly perfect, not getting into the college of her choice, making it out on her own and just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

 What I found absolutely refreshing was the background of all the characters. Especially the ones from the Middle East. Even though sure, there was a lot of generalizing and giving in to many prejudices, but hey, there were Arabs mentioned, so that was definitely an added bonus and some things did have merit, so I couldn't be angry at them, just the generalizing.

I think this is definitely going to be one of my top guilty pleasure books I'll probably be reading again soon. It's quite long for a contemporary novel though. I'm used to them being around 190 - 250 pages or 300 max, but this one got up to 400 or more. Which meant it definitely had a lot in it, and wasn't as simple and quick a read as other contemporaries. I felt sometimes that things were dragged out and a bit repetitive, but I still enjoyed it very much. The writing was also quite good, and the characters were so flawed I couldn't help but love them.

I think this is the first contemporary book series I actively enjoyed. I am ridiculously impatient at the moment to know what happens next in the sequel!

Rating: 4/5.

No comments:

Post a Comment