Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Review: Perfect Lies

Title: Perfect Lies (Mind Games #2)
Author: Kiersten White
ISBN: 0062135848 
Book Genre: YA Paranormal
Release Date: February 18th 2014
Publisher: HarperTeen
Book Source: Edelweiss


Goodreads Synopsis:

Annie and Fia are ready to fight back.
The sisters have been manipulated and controlled by the Keane Foundation for years, trapped in a never ending battle for survival. Now they have found allies who can help them truly escape. After faking her own death, Annie has joined a group that is plotting to destroy the Foundation. And Fia is working with James Keane to bring his father down from the inside.
But Annie's visions of the future can't show her who to trust in the present. And though James is Fia's first love, Fia knows he's hiding something. The sisters can rely only on each other - but that may not be enough to save them.


Review:

ONCE UPON A TIME, I WAS A LITTLE GIRL WITH A mom and a dad and a sister, and the only monsters in the world were imaginary.
Then I became one of the monsters.

This review was not easy to write, honestly I'm still trying to recover from the book. It hasn't been easy so far. But at some point I better suck it up and do it. Also, I should point out that if you haven't read Mind Games, there may be a few spoilers in this review, so seriously, just read Mind Games first.

Perfect Lies is the sequel to Mind Games which happens to be a dualogy, so in case you didn't know how high the stakes are in this book, this should give you a clue. The stakes are freaking high.

I was disappointed with the ending of book one because I was hoping for the story to go in a particular direction for most of the book and the last couple of chapters wrecked that completely, which meant I couldn't exactly hope for the same things in the sequel, I had entirely different hopes yet no idea how Kiersten was going to get it there, and boy was she brilliant in accomplishing it. 

It is pretty obvious in Mind Games that the focus of the story was Fia, but that is not the case in book two, even though the story is being told from dual point of views, the focus appears to be Annie. For the majority of Mind Games I seriously hated Annie, I hate what happened to Fia because of her. In Perfect lies I got to like her a little bit more. As for other people playing a big part of this story, there are many recurring ones from book one, yet still with a little bit of ambiguity with some of them. Rafael comes back, Cole, Sarah, Nathan and Adam all return, and you get to see them play a bigger part than they did in book one, however, not much is told about their background stories. I did want to know more about Rafael and Cole though, but I guess it made sense since they weren't the leads in the story.

The interesting thing about this story, actually the pretty amazing part about it, is the way it's told. Fia's side is more often than not taking place in the present, what is happening right now with her. Annie's on the other hand is told from the moment she's left 'dying' on the ground, and the months leading to the inevitable point of clash that was expected. It may not seem like it right now, but the ingenuity in the writing and the chronological order of things taking place back and forth until the full story is finally unravelled was mind-blowing.

Fia as a character has reached a very psychotic level at this point. In book one I had hoped she'd end up with Adam and have her happily ever after because I thought that it was all she needed to get better and escape the Keane life. However, the second she went back with James to save Annie, I knew that in book two that will not be the case anymore, that she's spiraling out of control and the only inevitable thing in my mind for her to heal was... well, if she killed herself. But I hated that, I really didn't want it to reach that point, so I was in a constant state of terror when her chapters came to be, she had reached a level of insanity that made you think there was no going back in it.  At the same time you're constantly thinking that there is something missing, something bigger going on, something behind the scenes, beyond what Kiersten is showing you one point at a time, and it's freaking fabulous. You reach a point where you just don't know anymore how you want the story to end, who you want to win. All the characters are in between shades of grey, the moral sides of things becomes very hazy, and differentiating between what's right or wrong, what you want to happen and what should happen becomes very difficult.

This book had me in a constant state of uncertainty and obscurity that I found very gripping. It was very heartbreaking and exhilarating. The characters were all ridiculously flawed, none of them fully good, and I liked how that made them seem more human to me than anything else. Humans make mistakes, humans are wrong, humans don't always make the right decisions. No one is one hundred percent good.

To be honest I had two problems with this book, one, that I thought Keane should have made more appearances in the story than the minor scenes in which he met Fia. But for a super badass villain who ruined many lives, he surprisingly had a limited amount of contact with them. I feel like he should have had more presence, more evidence of his evilness firsthand rather than hearing about what he's done. His character was definitely lacking. The second problem was the length of the story. I needed more of it, and the amount I had was pretty much not enough. I need more Cole, more Annie, more Fia and Mae. I can't believe it's completely over, yes I believe it was well done, very well done actually, I wouldn't have it any other way, but at the same time, a part of me feels foolishly numb and distraught to have it over with no potential of more.

I definitely recommend you buy a copy of this book the second it comes out. Seriously. You'll feel like a part of your life has been missing and that it needed to be filled, then torn into pieces by this book. It's just pure brilliance.

Rating: 5/5*!

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I found this review really interesting actually. I have to admit, I recoiled a little bit when you mentioned the focus is more on Annie this time around. I felt the same way in Mind Games - I didn't like Annie one bit until right at the very end when she redeems herself. But what you were saying about Fia makes me very, very excited to read this one, more so than before. I loved how unstable Fia's personality was in Mind Games so to have that amplified - it sounds like the read is full of suspense. Plus, if there is a chance I'll grow to like Annie, then bring it on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait for you to read this book. It's so incredible! :)

      Delete