Saturday, March 1, 2014

Review: Best Kind of Broken

Title: Best Kind of Broken
Author: Chelsea Fine
ISBN: 1455583138
Book Genre: NA Contemporary
Release Date: March 4th 2014
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:
Pixie and Levi haven't spoken in nearly a year when they find themselves working―and living―at the same inn in the middle of nowhere. Once upon a time, they were childhood friends. But that was before everything went to hell. And now things are... awkward.
All they want to do is avoid each other, and their past, for as long as possible. But now that they're forced to share a bathroom, and therefore a shower, keeping their distance from one another becomes less difficult than keeping their hands off each other. Welcome to the hallway of awkward tension and sexual frustration, folks. Get comfy. It’s going to be a long summer.


Review:

I honestly did not expect to love this book as much as I did. I have no idea why, but whilst reading the synopsis I thought it was going to be a light and simple contemporary read to fit a mood when I was cranky or something. It was a light and simple read. It was heart wrenching, devastating, and I absolutely loved every second of it.

Pixie has no place to go for the summer so she settles for a job at her aunt's inn for room and board. What she doesn't expect is to see Levi, her old friend also working there as the handyman. The thing is, Pixie hasn't seen Levi in almost a year, since the day of a terrible accident that neither of them have talked about since then. Both of them are not only torn apart by it, but they have troubles in their lives they've learned for so long to run away from. Both of them know they're broken, but can they help each other heal?

One thing you don't expect to find this book, and honestly I hadn't seen it coming, was the humor. I found myself laughing out loud on numerous occasions. Both Pixie and Levi are very wry characters and I loved their voices in the book. I also loved their interactions. Like when Levi talks about how he can't do any work in the inn without the old people gathering around him:

I'm not sure what it is that draws retired me to my side while I'm fixing things - maybe they find handiwork fascinating, or maybe they're horribly bored - but sometimes I feel like the Willow Inn sideshow.Take Earl for instance. He's pulled up a chair in the lobby and is now watching my every movement with expectant eyes.And for my next act, I shall fall from this prehistoric climbing contraption and break both legs - with no hands because they'll be dangling from this hanging candelabrum after being torn from my body during my amazing fall!I should set out a tip jar.[...]I flip the light switch, and the chandelier lights up in all its ridiculously complicated glory.The Amazing Levi, ladies and gentlemen. I'll be here all week.

I don't know about you, but I actually quite enjoyed his brand of humor. Or how about when Pixie feels weird about her boyfriend coming to the inn with Levi there as if she needed permission from him to date:

I, Levi Andrews, give my explicit permission for one Pixie Marshall to date whomever she wishes without any feelings that might resemble guilt or betrayal or awkward confusion. Signed, Levi Andrews, platonic third party in all Pixie Marshall-related endeavors and keeper of the east wing hot water.
The last part was because he keeps hogging the hot water and she's not happy with all the cold showers she has to take. But fear not, she retaliates! She also has a bunch of weird quirks and phobias:

"It's okay to be afraid of Lizards. It's really weird, but it's okay.""They're like tiny, terrifying dinosaurs.""And it's even okay to be ridiculously afraid of Disney's Alice in Wonderland-""It is a really creepy movie," I say defensively. "There were talking umbrella vultures and mean flower giants hedgehog croquet balls-"
Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's funny. At least for me it was. But then there were the sad moments, the cry-your-eyes-out moments, the man-this-too-much moments. I don't know how Chelsea managed to mix both of those together, but I applaud her for the ingenuity in managing it. She's a fantastic writer with such well-developed and relatable characters. I love their kind of broken, I love the town setting, and I just love everything!

I can't wait for book two with Daren and everything, I'm already dying to know what the hell happened!

Rating: 5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment