Saturday, September 27, 2014

Review: As Long As You Love Me

Author: Ann Aguirre
ISBN: 0373779844
Book Genre: New Adult
Release Date: September 30th 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:
Most people dream about getting out of Sharon, Nebraska, but after three years away, Lauren Barrett is coming home. There are the justifications she gives to everyone else—missing her family, losing her college scholarship. And then there’s the reason Lauren can’t admit to anyone: Rob Conrad, her best friend’s older brother.
Football prowess and jaw-dropping good looks made Rob a star in high school. Out in the real world, his job and his relationships are going nowhere. He can’t pinpoint exactly what’s missing until Lauren comes back to town, bringing old feelings and new dreams with her. But he’s the guy that women love and leave—not the one who makes them think of forever.
Though she’s terrified of opening up, Lauren’s ready to take that chance. Because the only thing more important than figuring out where you truly belong is finding the person you were meant to be with.


Review:

I really enjoyed the first book in this trilogy I Want it That Way, but I also had some issues with the depth of the characters in the story. Thankfully I didn't have such a problem with this book.

Lauren flunked out of college on purpose because she couldn't handle it anymore and it was making her miserable. Coming home she doesn't anticipate the sudden friendship she strikes with her best friend's brother (who just happens to be her all-time crush since she was thirteen). Both of them have things being whispered about them behind their back and a now uncertain future, but it's a good thing they have the other person to help them out.

Both characters Lauren and Rob are very insecure and have so many issues which honestly made me enjoy the book more because I love a well rounded character, it kind of solved the problem with the first book, both Ty and Nadia felt so flat and I had a hard time investing in them. I didn't with these two though. I also loved the other stories in the background with say Krista, her pregnancy and the story with her long distance relationship. I even loved Avery even though she was Rob's girlfriend at first and a complete bitch. The entire book is packed and definitely enjoyable.

What I didn't like however was the point of climax. The thing is, throughout the book I knew there had to be one, it's a common thing to expect from a story, the big point of conflict that causes some dramatic change and all, but throughout the book all the normal go to routes were exhausted before going there, so as glad as I was that Aguirre wasn't going with the normal cliché stuff with ex-girlfriends ruining things and a potential misunderstanding with Lauren's one night stand or whatever, I still found Aguirre's choice to be not so great or convincing. She could have gone with Rob's parents as an angle, it could have worked… actually that's another annoying part of the story. But focusing on her angle of choice, I just… it wasn't plausible. I'm not saying that angle sucked, but the way it was delivered did, I wasn't convinced and I found it ridiculously weak. On the other hand (the way she choice to insert the angle aside) the reasons behind the conflict were pretty plausible, the aftermaths were actually a good choice and how the story went from there to the end picked up a lot and made me go back to liking it. 

So, all in all, this book had more dark elements than the first one, with more characters unhinged, reminding me of why I love new adult as a genre, and I loved how much Lauren grew throughout the book and I definitely like how the storyline went, even with Rob. I definitely liked Rob's character growth. Besides, the writing was just as great and it was hard to dislike the story for long. I definitely can't wait for the last book with Max's story!

Rating: 4/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment