Sunday, September 21, 2014

Review: Right Kind of Wrong

Author: Chelsea Fine
ISBN: 1455583170 
Book Genre: New Adult Contemporary
Release Date: September 2nd 2014
Publisher: Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:
Sometimes wrong can feel oh so right . . .

Jenna Lacombe needs complete control, whether it’s in the streets . . . or between the sheets. So when she sets out on a solo road trip to visit her family in New Orleans, she’s beyond annoyed that the infuriatingly sexy Jack Oliver wants to hitch a ride with her. Ever since they shared a wild night together last year, he’s been trying to strip away her defenses one by one. He claims he’s just coming along to keep her safe-but what’s not safe for her is prolonged exposure to the tattooed hottie.
Jack can’t get Jenna out from under his skin. She makes him feel alive again after his old life nearly destroyed him-and losing her is not an option. Now Jack’s troubles are catching up to him, and he’s forced to return to his hometown in Louisiana. But when his secrets put them both in harm’s way, Jenna will have to figure out how far she’s willing to let love in . . . and how much she already has.


Review:

I think this particular installment in the series was the one I highly anticipated, mostly because the weird relationship between Jack and Jenna was mentioned in book one and a glimpse of it was shown in book two. Now I can safely say it was so worth the wait. Though I should mention the impression I got of Jack in the first two books was completely off, he is sooo much better than I had expected. So first thing's first, if you haven't read any of the books in this series, you kind of should. I mean, they can work as standalones, however, Fine has a way of intertwining the stories so characters from other stories pop up at the most bizarre times and make the best kind of entrance. Believe me, you get hooked and find yourself forced to read the rest, it becomes rather involuntary.

Onto the book, a year ago Jenna and Jack had a one night thing. One Jenna is hell-bent on pretending never happened. Jack on the other hand doesn't want to pretend, and until Jenna decides to finally talk about that night, he is determined to torture her every way he can. The one thing they have in common is their fixation with their pasts, Jenna doesn't want a repeat of hers, and Jack wants to never look back at his. When they both find themselves in need of heading back home at the same time, Jack decides to hitch a ride with a not-so-pleased Jenna. Needless to say there was a lot of grumbling and arguments involved, ones like this:

"I can't believe I even considered driving back home with you. I would've ripped your head off long before we crossed the Texas border." Heaving open the inn's front door, I charge through and shoot my eyes over my shoulder. "Frankly, I'm impressed we made it this far without me killing you."
He grins. "What's with all the death threats? Is that how you handle all of life's problems? By committing murder?"

I call out, "I'm ready when you are, diva!"Complete agitation covers her face as she whips around with narrowed eyes and yells, "Don't. Call. Me. DIVA!"I grin. "It never gets old.""God!" she exclaims, thrusting her arms up again.The look on her face is priceless. I could do this all day. I might, actually.

It's pretty obvious Jack's on a mission to drive her insane, and I just loved their interactions with one another. There's this obvious chemistry between them, but at the same time, they're actually close friends who genuinely like one another, even though they drive each other mad every now and then. The best part about those two characters is that you get a fairly in-depth look into both their lives as they head home. I love when I get to dissect the characters and see their past, their pain, their insecurities, their times of joy, what they treasure and what they lost. It's the journey of how they grow from there, how the learn and get back up on their feet that makes me love a book and I had that with this book.

Strength isn't about what you can and cannot achieve. It's about what you will and will not do in order to achieve. And on that, I know exactly where I stand.

Now Jack, as goofy and funny as he is at the start of the book has this lethal side you get to see when he gets home and his life turns into a more adult version of Simone Elkeles's Perfect Chemistry. The many sides of him you see with his friends, his enemies, Jenna, his family and her family, was pretty awesome, I feel like I got a well rounded view of him.

If all of that isn't enough to get you into this book, then there's the writing. I'm seriously hopelessly and ridiculously in love with Chelsea Fine's writing. She's perfected this balance of absolute laugh out loud moments and tear your heart out moments, finding the right ways to portray both and blend them together. I am just so in love and can't wait to read more!

"Okay, ew," Pixie teases. "There are children here." She looks around at where there are clearly no children anywhere. "Okay, well, there's a goat here. Get a room."

I think I have a seriously unhealthy obsession with the story behind the goat. Seriously. I want Zack and his baby goat to get a happily ever after.

Rating: 4.5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment