Thursday, May 21, 2015

Breathe, Annie, Breathe: Review

Title: Breathe, Annie, Breathe
Author: Miranda Kenneally
ISBN: 1492608661 
Book Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Release Date: July 15th 2014
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Book Source: NetGalley


Goodreads Synopsis:

Annie hates running. No matter how far she jogs, she can’t escape the guilt that if she hadn’t broken up with Kyle, he might still be alive. So to honor his memory, she starts preparing for the marathon he intended to race.
But the training is even more grueling than Annie could have imagined. Despite her coaching, she’s at war with her body, her mind—and her heart. With every mile that athletic Jeremiah cheers her on, she grows more conflicted. She wants to run into his arms…and sprint in the opposite direction. For Annie, opening up to love again may be even more of a challenge than crossing the finish line.


Review:

I have to be honest, the first time I read the synopsis for this story, I was completely certain I'll hate it. I thought it would be too sad, and just not my kind of story at all. However, once I started reading books by Miranda Kenneally, I fell in love with her style and some part of me thought that maybe I should give this one a chance. I'm so glad I did.

Off the bat I need to just say something, if I EVER end up with someone, I want it to be someone exactly like Jeremiah. There, I said it. I'd steal him too if it's possible. Sorry Annie, but I'd definitely keep him. He's incredible, sweet, patient, encouraging and so understanding. I absolutely loved him. Granted, some of his adrenaline junkie ways worry me, but if I'm being honest, I'd love someone to push me into doing those kinds of things. Bungee jumping, Sky diving, all sorts of other crazy things he's hooked up on. I love it.

My favourite part of this story is how both characters are struggling with things, they felt essentially real and I quite enjoyed getting to know both of them. I really loved that Annie was doing this for her dead ex-boyfriend, though there are some things there I wish were addressed by the end of the story, but it was still great. I liked the character development and the struggle of trying to achieve this dream for Kyle. I enjoyed the schedule and the updates every now and then. I liked how it wasn't easy and how the author made it so that we could see how hard it was for Annie and how challenging it was. I'd contemplated doing this so many times myself, but I was honestly never brave enough for it, it sounds like a very vigorous, hard and stressful training routine to up your stamina for a marathon. I applaud her for it, and honestly wish I could do it. I'm also jealous because she had such a great support system in everyone around her, pushing her to do it, fighting with her to keep her on track. Does she not realize how lucky she is?

There's dealing with lost friendships, finding yourself but not letting particular things define you. It's about overcoming your challenges, but also finding ways to forgive people around you and working hard. It's about not giving up. It made me cry, laugh and have a very emotional ride overall.

This was such an incredible story, my absolute favourite in the series, and I loved the character interaction, especially with both Jere and Annie, it was epic. The writing was incredible as well. I can't wait for more from the author.

Some of my favourite quotes:

"A boy should fit into your life - not become it. High school is when you start to define yourself. Don't define yourself as the girl who has a boyfriend and nothing else."

"Maybe you don't have to figure out life at all. Maybe it just is."

"All decisions are different in hindsight. Maybe all we can do is make the best decisions we can in the moment, using the best information we have right then."

Reasons why I LOVED Jeremiah:

"If you don't put yourself out there, if you don't take risks, you can't truly feel."

"You make me feel three times the rush of skydiving or bungee jumping... I felt the biggest rush of my life when you said you loved me."

"I can't. I can't. It hurts."My stomach feels like it got turned inside out. I lean over and get sick again, right in front of him. I clutch my side. He suddenly stands up. I grossed him out.But then I feel him sitting down behind me, stretching his legs to cradle mine. His arms circle my middle. "I've got you. Relax."I lean against his chest, working to catch my breath. [...]Jeremiah whispers in my ear, "You are going to finish this for him. You will."That just makes me cry harder. I blink away my tears, staring at Jeremiah over my shoulder."Kyle's counting on you, Annie."

Rating: 5/5!

No comments:

Post a Comment